Evolution Intelligent Design Plants

Researcher: Best educated guesses fail with plant evolution

Spread the love
crystal structure of Photosystem I/Elsevier

From at ScienceDaily:

Ancient microbes may have been producing oxygen through photosynthesis a billion years earlier than we thought, which means oxygen was available for living organisms very close to the origin of life on earth. In a new article in Heliyon, a researcher from Imperial College London studied the molecular machines responsible for photosynthesis and found the process may have evolved as long as 3.6 billion years ago.

One surprising finding was that the evolution of the photosystem was not linear. Photosystems are known to evolve very slowly — they have done so since cyanobacteria appeared at least 2.4 billion years ago. But when Dr. Cardona used that slow rate of evolution to calculate the origin of photosynthesis, he came up with a date that was older than the earth itself. This means the photosystem must have evolved much faster at the beginning — something recent research suggests was due to the planet being hotter.

“There is still a lot we don’t know about why life is the way it is and how most biological process originated,” said Dr. Cardona. “Sometimes our best educated guesses don’t even come close to representing what really happened so long ago.” Paper. (public access) – Tanai Cardona. Early Archean origin of heterodimeric Photosystem I. Heliyon, 2018; 4 (3): e00548 DOI: 10.1016/j.heliyon.2018.e00548 More.

See also: Researchers: Plants colonized Earth 100 mya earlier than thought

Hat tip: Philip Cunningham

4 Replies to “Researcher: Best educated guesses fail with plant evolution

  1. 1
    polistra says:

    “must have evolved much faster at the beginning ”

    Well, sudden creation would certainly qualify as “evolving much faster at the beginning”. It’s like the 80/20 rule but sharper. The first 90% of evolution took no time at all. The remaining 10% took 3 billion years.

    I wonder if the profs who write these phrases are consciously preparing the ground for the next step in the “earlier than thought” process?

    When you keep pushing the inflection point of a log curve leftward, it finally becomes a vertical discontinuity.

  2. 2
    DATCG says:

    uh…

    But when Dr. Cardona used that slow rate of evolution to calculate the origin of photosynthesis, he came up with a date that was older than the earth itself. This means the photosystem must have evolved much faster at the beginning — something recent research suggests was due to the planet being hotter.

    “Sometimes our best educated guesses don’t even come close to representing what really happened so long ago.”

    Or rates were never dependable in the first place, based largely on “educated guesses” much like depending on a game of Pachinko. Here a rate, there a rate, where will the rate fall.

    Yet, every child is indoctrinated that evolutionist do know what happened millions, billions of years ago. From single cell to multi-cell, prokaryotes to eurkaryotes. Just look at artist renditions of progression with every just so story.

    What about constraints on evolution? A paper from 2016 covers Gene Pleiotropy and Transcription Factors, constraining evolution.

    “Our study provided supportive evidence that pleiotropy constraints the evolution of TFs”

    Transcription Factors, Pleiotropy and Constraints on Evolution

    So how accurate could any study be of the rate of evolution if today scientist are still learning, in fact discovering new constraints on evolution?

    How much does the discovery of intricate networked systems and Pleiotropy constrain evolution? Like the case for Ubiquitin and it’s network system that touches every area of human proteins from signaling to muscle to neuronal regulations and and thousands of genes and proteins.

    Plants? That’s easy in comparison to the ubiquitin system in the human genome.

    See Gpuccio’s recent and excellent post here at UD:

    The Ubiquitin System: Functional Complexity and Semiosis joined together.

  3. 3
    DATCG says:

    #1 Polistra,

    well said, eventually it becomes so absurd the house of darwin cards all falls down.

  4. 4
    Latemarch says:

    Polistra@1

    The Evolutionists desperately need deep time to make the theory seem plausible.

    Now they’re running out of even that.

    This is Dawkins’ “Cambrian rabbit.”

Leave a Reply