Earlier today, we noted that Jeffrey Shallit had attacked Jonathan Bartlett, author of Jonathan Bartlett is the author of Calculus from the Ground Up, asking why creationists can’t do math:
A commenter noted that he had not seemed to mention computer science prof David Gelernter’s defection from Darwinism. But that “defect” has recently been remedied:
One of the most popular crank topics is evolution, and that’s the subject of today’s blog. Yes, it’s David Gelernter again. Prof. Gelernter, who teaches computer science at Yale, recently wrote a review for the far-right Claremont Review of Books entitled “Giving up Darwin”. All the warning signs are there:
– Gelernter is not a biologist and (to the best of my knowledge) has no advanced formal training in biology. That’s typical: the crank rarely gets cranky in subjects of his own competence. (I say “his” because cranks are almost always male.)
– Gelernter has basically done almost nothing in his own field for the last 20 years (according to DBLP, he’s published only two papers in CS since 1998). That’s also typical:
– intellectually-fulfilled academics are usually happy to contribute more to their own fields of competence, and don’t have the time for bizarre detours into other fields.
– Gelernter is also a devout theist, and has written books praising the wisdom of his particular religious sect. Nearly all the intellectual opposition to evolution comes from theists, who “find in the theory of evolution a disturbing and mysterious challenge to their values” (to quote Anthony West).
– Gelernter pals around with other anti-evolution cranks, like Stephen Meyer and David Berlinski. …Jeffrey Shallit, “David Gelernter Makes a Fool of Himself Again” at Recursivity
And much more.
Re “Gelernter is not a biologist and (to the best of my knowledge) has no advanced formal training in biology,” we did not realize that math prof Jeffrey Shallit, who defends Darwinism, had biology credentials himself. Well, he must, mustn’t he? But none are listed in the post. But then, if you defend Darwinism, perhaps no credentials are needed.
See also: Darwinist Jeffrey Shallit asks, why can’t creationists do math? Referring to calculus textbook author Jonathan Bartlett, he writes, “What surprises me is that even creationists with math or related degrees often have problems with basic mathematics.” Bartlett will answer shortly.
David Gelernter warns against Darwin mob. You take your life in your hands”? Okay, then they leave us with few options but getting tougher with nonsense. We’ll take the Darwinbird of pop science hostage!
The College Fix LISTENS TO David Gelernter on Darwin! It’s almost as though people are “getting it” that Darwinism now functions as an intolerant secular religion. Evolution rolls on oblivious but here and there heads are getting cracked, so to speak, over the differences between what really happens and what Darwinians insist must happen.
Follow UD News at Twitter!