Key non-Darwinian Evolutionary Scientists in the 20th Century
• William Bateson (1861-1926) & Hugo de Vries (1848-1935): abrupt variation as a source of evolutionary novelty
• Richard Goldschmidt (1878-1958): altering developmental processes as a source of rapid evolutionary novelty (“hopeful monsters” and Evo-Devo)
• Barbara McClintock (1902-1992): genetic change as a biological response to danger and evolutionary novelty through genome restructuring resulting from “shocks”
• G Ledyard Stebbins (1906-2000): hybridization between species as a source of evolutionary novelty
• Carl Woese (1928- ): molecular phylogeny and the existence of at least three distinct cell kingdoms
• Lynn Margulis (1938- ): cell mergers/symbiogenesis as a source of evolutionary novelty
If they withstood the trolls, so can the rest of us.