Culture Intelligent Design Medicine Naturalism

Theodore Dalrymple on what the heck has happened to the New England Journal of Medicine

Spread the love

If you still think science can’t get “woke” (and croak), author and retired psychiatrist Theodore Dalrymple (pen name Anthony Daniels) would ask you to consider the New England Journal of Medicine:

Daniels’s latest book, False Positive, brings a critical eye to one of the most important general medical journals in the world: The New England Journal of Medicine. Daniels exposes errors of reasoning and omissions apparently undetected by the Journal’s editors and shows how its pages have become mind-numbingly politically correct, with highly debatable arguments allowed to pass as if self-evidently true.

Theodore Dalrymple, “Theodore Dalrymple on Elite Medical Journals and the Criminal Underclass” at City Journal (June 26, 2019)

From the transcript of the podcast with City Journal:

Brian Anderson: I think our readers would be interested in the social commentary side. You would assume a journal of medicine is going to be focusing on medicine, but often it spilled over into a kind of political correctness.

Anthony Daniels: Yes, that’s true. There are lots of examples of that. For example, I mentioned a letter from the Netherlands about the glories of euthanasia in the Netherlands. And the author proudly stated that 92% of the 6,000 people who are euthanized, or encouraged to commit suicide by their doctors, 92% of them had serious medical conditions. Now, if I were editor of the New England Journal, I would say, ‘well, what about the other 8%? Let’s have a bit of clarification there.’

Brian Anderson: Right.

Anthony Daniels: But it wasn’t even a question. And I suspect– I can’t prove– it’s because of an approval, a desire to make euthanasia look good.

Here’s the publisher’s blurb for False Positive: A Year of Error, Omission, and Political Correctness in the New England Journal of Medicine:

Daniels’s latest book, False Positive, brings a critical eye to one of the most important general medical journals in the world: The New England Journal of Medicine. Daniels exposes errors of reasoning and omissions apparently undetected by the Journal’s editors and shows how its pages have become mind-numbingly politically correct, with highly debatable arguments allowed to pass as if self-evidently true.

Wokesters tend to think that a thing can only be true and important if it serves a political agenda. Because their political agenda is what makes things true and important. They aren’t at war with society; they are at war with reality. – O’Leary for News

Dalrymple, incidentally, is Ken Francis’s co-author, of The Terror of Existence: From Ecclesiastes to Theatre of the Absurd. Francis sends us many fine news tips, for which, thanks.


See also: New England Journal Of Medicine, seeking new editor, urged to get woke.

and

Lancet: Why has a historic medical publication gone weird?

One Reply to “Theodore Dalrymple on what the heck has happened to the New England Journal of Medicine

  1. 1
    jawa says:

    Bizarre.

Leave a Reply