I know this may be a bit unusual for the typical fare, but since we have a number of engineers and other tech-savvy readers, I thought I would solicit your help with a quick tech-related survey.
Recently I have been in discussion with a Google engineer about gmail. The discussion began when he asked me which email address (among several that I have) I preferred to use. I replied that I would use gmail more if the mobile Android app permitted deletion of single messages, rather than entire conversations. He seemed surprised that anyone would want to delete a single message and asked me for some “use cases” that would call for deletion of a single message, rather than an entire thread. I have started preparing a response and have several use cases of my own, but thought I would widen the net a bit and solicit some input from other tech-savvy folks.
So without further ado, here is my simple, wholly unscientific survey:
1. Which email client(s) do you use?
2. Do you prefer to see your emails grouped (a) in conversation view or (b) in single-message view by chronology?
3. In either case, are there situations in which you would want to delete a single message, rather than deleting an entire thread/conversation?
4. Does your current email client allow you to delete single messages? On the desktop, on the mobile app, both?
As a bonus:
5. If you are a gmail user, would you find it useful to be able to delete single messages on the mobile app?
Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Also, any other related input or feedback would be great.