. . . including, regarding major trends of our civilisation vis a vis the IslamISTS, also as a civilisation, we face “seven mountains of influence” issues.
The initial fall of the Pound off the cliff on the announcement from Sunderland that was the first clear indicator of which way the referendum would go:
Key initial impacts:
- UK Prime Minister, David Cameron has resigned, staying on as a three-month caretaker
- Former Mayor of London Boris Johnson (leader of the Brexit campaign) is tipped a likely successor
- A 2 – 4 year estimated Lisbon Article 50 leave process is likely to begin under Cameron’s successor.
- The Governor of the Bank of England has promised liquidity in Pounds and key foreign currencies to ease pressure on UK markets and the currency.
- Key stocks, starting with leading banks are off by up to 1/5.
- FTSE initially has dived 6.95% though as of this writing it has clawed its way back above the 6,000 threshold,
- the GBP dived 5.77% against the Euro (which is itself falling), and up to 8.46% against the US$, hitting as low as $1.36 down from $1.50 on the eve of the vote. The Yen is rising.
- Gold is surging, oil is falling.
- The Scots have long since warned that a Brexit would re-open the independence question, which would have major consequences for the UK’s geostrategic stance in the world, and knock-on effects for the global economy and stability.
- And much more . . .
Geostrategic issues are of sobering concern when we consider the global geostrategic situation:
[U/D Jun 28:] Let me add some illustrations to give geostrategic/ geopolitical background:
1: The classic heartland-rimland context:
. . . and a map of NATO vs the Warsaw Pact:
2: The practical Lebensraum goal c 1941 (expanding on Septemberprogramm 1914):
3: A Picture of today’s Euronetwork (Germany focussed):
5: Cecil B Rhodes as a Cape to Cairo Colossus (they had rail in mind then):
We must also ponder civilisation level trends, for which the (generic) seven mountains of influence approach may be helpful:
One obvious implication is this is a sign of rising nationalism in the midst of an unsettling and utterly atypical US Election year that just saw an assassination attempt — directly parallel to the murder of a UK Member of Parliament. (If anything, that would tend to favour Mr Trump; providing, he does in fact become the Republican nominee.)
As touching origins debates and linked concerns relevant to Intelligent Design and to the historic heritage of our civilisation, the key issue will be the power moves made during a time of uncertainties and instabilities. For, we deal with those of the Marxian type view that a “crisis” must not go to “waste.”
Vigilance, is eternally the price of liberty. END
PS: Pound, pounded
Here is 20 year context: